Asbestos surveysThe first step in managing asbestos
Regulation 4 (Car 2012) creates an explicit duty on building owners /occupiers to manage the risk
from asbestos materials in premises. This duty to manage applies to almost every property in the
country built before 1999 except for owner-occupied properties.
Thus, all property owners, including local authority and housing associations will need to:
- Take reasonable steps to determine the location, extent, condition, and type of asbestos containing materials within their property
- Keep and maintain an up to date asbestos register and management plan
- Inform anyone who is likely to disturb or come into contact with any identified or presumed materials and to record the location and condition of the ACM
The purpose of the survey is to help manage asbestos in the duty holder’s premises. The survey must provide sufficient information for: an asbestos register, a suitable risk assessment to be carried out and a written plan to manage the risks.
The survey should be one of two types:
- Management Survey - A management survey is the standard survey. Its purpose is to locate, as far as reasonably practicable, the presence and extent of any suspect ACMs in the building which could be damaged or disturbed during normal occupancy, including foreseeable maintenance and installation, and to assess their condition. The findings of the management survey form the bias of the property’s asbestos register.
- Refurbishment & Demolition Survey -This survey is needed before any refurbishment or demolition work is carried out. This type of survey is used to locate and describe, as far as reasonably practicable, all ACMs in the area where the refurbishment work will take place or in the whole building if demolition is planned. The survey will be fully intrusive and involve destructive inspection, as necessary, to gain access to all areas, including those that may be difficult to reach. A refurbishment and demolition survey may also be required in other circumstances, e.g. when more intrusive maintenance and repair work will be carried out or for plant removal or dismantling.
Asbestos management survey
This is required for normal occupation of the building to actively manage the continued presence of asbestos containing materials.
Refurbishment / demolition survey
This is needed when asbestos may be present and part of the building is to be upgraded, refurbished or demolished.
Our trained, experienced surveyors will carry out an initial walk-through of your premises, looking for areas of the building that are likely to contain asbestos and assessing the specific risks.
They will visually inspect every room, roof space and basement, checking for asbestos containing materials. It may be necessary to open up risers, and lift ceiling tiles and carpets etc.
Our surveyors will take photos of all suspected materials and may take samples of suspect materials for later analysis.
A report will be produced, indicating where asbestos was found, the type of asbestos, and a risk assessment. This can then be used to formulate a management plan to control the release of fibres into the air.